Guides on comfort and technical highlights when using technical fabrics.
Put two individuals in identical but extreme conditions and their perception of comfort can vary by as much as 10 degrees. Don’t be afraid to experiment with clothing combinations to learn what works for you.
– Breathable fabrics help your body regulate its sensitive microclimate by allowing sweat to evaporate freely. Non-breathable fabrics cause sweat to accumulate on the skin and turn cold, leading to wet heat loss.
– Underlayers of clothing saturated with moisture can get very heavy. Supporting this weight will cause you to tire more quickly. Opt for breathable fabrics that stay dry even during intense heat and activity levels.
– Why opt for windproof clothing? In just two minutes, a wind speed of 20 mph will make a temperature of 41°F feel like 17°F.
– The windchill effect can radically alter your perception of comfort. Totally windproof outerwear will keep you warm and protected when the wind kicks up.
– The pores in the GORE-TEX® membrane are 20,000 times smaller than a drop of water, but 700 times bigger than a moisture vapor molecule. Moisture can get out, but not in.
– Some microfiber “windproof” products can lose effectiveness after just one wash cycle. Our ultra-light WINDSTOPPER® membrane technology is built right into the fabric. Even after countless wash and dry cycles, it remains windproof.
– Offering maximum breathability, WINDSTOPPER® products prevent overheating and perspiration build-up by allowing moisture vapor to easily escape.
–Go Farther – Cyclists tested wearing WINDSTOPPER® clothing experienced a lower exertion rate than those wearing less breathable fabrics.
–Drier= more comfortable. Breathable outerwear doesn’t prevent sweating. But it can prevent your clothing from overloading with perspiration.
– GORE-TEX® fabric was the first breathable, windproof, and durably waterproof fabric.
– Set your thermostat – we are most comfortable with a tropical body microclimate of about 90°F and a relative humidity of less than 30%.